You may have stumbled upon this post thinking about a bedtime routine for a child. But this is a bedtime routine that I actually follow as an adult. As many of my followers know, last year was a real challenge for me in so many ways. All of which led to my This Is Me: 2018 Resolution Theme .
Nonetheless, with it being a few months into the year I have been able to establish a regular bedtime routine for myself and has been successful in my ability to get a better nights rest.
Sleeping Deeper & Feeling Refreshed
On most days, before I can even get out of my car as I get home from work I am greeted in the garage by my two kids. Collecting my things from the car I ender the kitchen, greet the rest of my family and begin to cook dinner. Afterward, I leave the kitchen with dirty plates, pots, and pans and head upstairs to begin my bedtime routine. washes.
Shout out to all the men who wash dishes! Especially my husband!
In 2018, I decided to be more intentional about taking care of myself. I have found the routine below to work well for me. However, please read my Full Disclaimer because this post is not meant to cure or treat any conditions. And as always, my posts do not contain any affiliate links.
My Bedtime Routine
- Shower – Find a good body wash or soap that you really like. I have always been a fan of Philosophy Pure Grace. I find that taking a shower in the evening helps me to process the day. I almost feel like I am washing away any troubles and sending them right the drain.
- Stop Eating – Our family eats dinner around 6:00 pm and I make an effort not to eat anything afterward. Now I must admit I may have a treat or dessert after dinner every now and then but certainly not every day.
- Essential Oils – My diffuser has served me so well in my bedtime routine! I usually put a few drops of lavender and orange to help me ease into the evening. The scent helps me to further unwind and relax. I have a few favorites and if you are looking for a good one to get started check this out my VAVA Desktop Diffuser Product Review.
- Get Headspace – This step can also be called mindfulness meditation. Sitting down for about 10 minutes I meditate with the help of Headspace. In addition, if I find I am having trouble settling my mind I will also use their Goodnight and Sleep Sounds meditation singles. I am a full subscriber of Headspace and with all of what the app offers; for me, it has more than paid for itself. Also, if you are looking for another blog to follow the Headspace Blog may be right up your alley.
In the midst of all of these steps, children are going back and forth. I am often being bombarded with questions from them or helping my mother. But the good thing about this is I am progressively finding mindful moments that are just for me.
Featured Image Photo by Luiz Felipe on Unsplash
Additional Photo by Kinga Cichewicz on Unsplash
While I featured VAVA Desktop Diffuser in my Cortney’s Favorite Things from 2017 I was so impressed that I wanted to share more about this particular item. I mean I ended up buying a total of four of them – so it is safe to say, I think I am in LOVE!
When I order my first one I was a bit skeptical. I liked the sleek, modern and minimalist look of the diffuser but was unsure about how it would perform. After conducting much research on diffusers I knew I wanted it to have an auto-shutoff and an intermittent setting. This had both and was so compact and cute… I took a chance!
It arrived in sturdy packaging and include a users guide, cleaning brush, USB cord, and a black travel tote. I initially purchased it for my bedside but the light would not go off while it was running (You can set it for the light to be off while it is still defusing. I just didn’t figure that out until a month later… SMH) So I took it to work instead. And this proved to be so helpful while in the office.
After a couple of days, I felt like a ninja when I added my essential oils to fight off the germs that floated around the office. And besides, it made my office smell pretty darn good! I have enjoyed this diffuser so much because of its compact size and ease of use that I ended up ordering a total three more for my two kids and mother. Now my kid requests me to turn it on at night to help them rest and it helps my mother get some additional rest to ease her anxiety.
Use, Settings & Cleaning
Since it only holds 30 ml it only leaves you the opportunity to add about 1-2 drops of essential oils. So you could add your favorite single essential oil or a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil blend. As I mentioned earlier, the diffuser will work with the lighting off. Check out the guide below:
- Continuous Mist = Press On Button One Initial Time
- Intermittent Mist (30 secs on/30 secs off) = Press On Button One More Time After Initial
- Turn Off Light = Press On Button One 2X During Continuous Mist or Intermittent Mist
- Turn Off Diffuser = Holding Down On Button
Depending on the settings you use, the time of diffusing can range from 3 – 6 hours. Also, the machine is easy to clean but I think the brush for the machine could be better. Lastly, it is not silent but only emits a very soft bubbling sound that is actually kind of soothing.
This is NOT a sponsored or an affiliate post. I have NOT been compensated for these statements. All opinions remain my own and I was in no way influenced by the companies. Also, the links in this post are not maintained. The purpose of this blog post is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various products. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
I am feeling like Oprah right now! In 2017, I came across some pretty awesome things. Also, this not a sponsored or affiliate post – just a few of my favorite things I wanted to share. Enjoy!
- Lemons Tote – “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” This was my mantra in 2017. And I think Beyonce or any members of the Bey Hive just might like it too.
- Sleep Mask – Believe it or not, I sleep with my eye just a wee bit open. This mask has been a lifesaver in keeping my eyes closed and more moisturized as I sleep.
- Desktop Diffuser – I have been doing a bit of aromatherapy with essentials oils at home. And this allows me to take the benefits of it to my desk at work.
- Bear Shower Curtain – This shower curtain is like none other. The colors are mesmerizing. It sets off my kid’s minimalist bathroom.
- 2018 Calendar – I searched high and low for a calendar like this. Compact, beautiful artwork and sleek design.
- Plaid Green Scarf – I eyed this for a while and finally bought for the winter. I mean one of my favorite colors is green and I couldn’t resist.
- Clip-on Sunglasses – I bought these originally for my mother but loved them so much I bought a pair for myself. Lightweight and light blocking. I couldn’t as for more.
- Pill Case – This tiny case is often used in emergencies. It can slip right in my pocket and has been a staple in my tote and purse.
- Herbivore T-shirt – When I went Vegetarian on July 12, 2017 I wanted to let the world know but not be crazy about it. This shirt is super soft and works for me now that I am vegan too.
- Octopus Mouse Pad – This just makes me think of the ocean. I get an underwater, swirling, mermaid feeling whenever I look at it. And mermaids make things happen!
This is NOT a sponsored or an affiliate post. I have NOT been compensated for these statements. All opinions remain my own and I was in no way influenced by the companies. Also, the links in this post are not maintained.